April 5, 2020

Monolithic Thought: Why We Should Disapprove

Hello there,

Over the past several days, there has been a lot of talk in the community about the upcoming pet updates. Two of these being: how expensive it is to hatch with another pet and the time it takes for a pet to hatch. There are many that disagree with this, but there are also those that agree. With that, I thought I'd make a blog post - one of many somewhat "controversial" posts to come - about monolithic thinking & my opinions (which you may or may not agree with - that's okay).





Agreeing with Kingsisle
Kingsisle has released many updates for Wizard101 in its near 12-year span. There are many great things about the game - which is why we're all still here, to begin with. I know that I support things that Kingsisle does that I know some, or in some cases, many, don't agree with. One of the things that I really do like is the option to run around with your pet. While some might think it's useless, I think it's a very cute feature. Another thing I absolutely love is the graphic updates for the spells. Now, I know we can all agree that it's amazing that these spells are finally getting a graphic update. I look forward to seeing all of the higher tier spells being updated in the future. There are many different things I love about this Spring Update, but let's get on to where I disagree with Kingsisle.



Disagreeing with Kingsisle
While agreeing with Kingsisle on certain things is always nice, it's also appropriate to disagree time-to-time. Many might not believe it, but I actually don't support the price of how much it costs to hatch a pet. I do agree with many when it comes down to new players - since it would be unfair to new players since they're not able to make as much gold when they first start out. I agree with many when it comes down to that. I believe it should be changed back to its original price or if it has to cost more, maybe a little less than it is in the Test Realm now. But in the end, this is the Test Realm and things always change. We can still submit our ideas by clicking on the Bug which is only available on the Test Realm - not Twitter.



A Common Purpose
Overall, agreeing and disagreeing with Kingsisle helps Kingsisle improve the game. At the same time, the community would be able to agree to disagree while also making the game the best that it can be. There are many reasons we should follow this path instead of thinking in a monolithic way. If someone agrees with Kingsisle 24/7, Kingsisle won't see what they're doing wrong & will be destined to repeat these same mistakes. If someone disagrees with Kingsisle 24/7, they won't see the good things that they are implementing for the community and the player base as a whole. At the end of the day, everyone should be allowed their thoughts without being bombarded with how wrong they are (unless they're being disrespectful to individuals - which is an exception). We should also respect those who are still working during these crazy times to make this game the best it can be for the public. At the end of the day, everyone can make this game and community a great place to be. Monolithic Thinking usually only divides the community (even those who may agree with you, but don't agree with your disrespect). Let's follow this common path together. Be respectful and don't think monolithically. Try to understand why those agree or disagree with you. And remember... this is a video game, not real life. Anyway, that's all I have to say. Thank you all for reading. Until next time, I'll see you around the spiral.




No comments: